Re: [textadept] Textadept needs to play catch-up

From: Brian Schott <briancsch....at.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:22:18 -0700

Excellent news. Honestly. I was starting to use Eclipse more at work due
to the enterprise-level features that it provided for my day-to-day
editing tasks. Here are a few of the reasons that I've been using Eclipse:

* Eclipse doesn't assume that I want all strings in all programming
languages to be colored and highlighted the same way. With Textadept,
it's trivial to make them consistent. Sometimes I WANT that unreadable
dark blue for XML tags on my dark background, dangit! Besides, being
able to find the options for text size when trying to hold a code review
on a projector screen is what separates the boys from men.
(Incidentally, I work with quite a few Eclipse-using boys)

* Eclipse lags with autocomplete, but that's because it searches EVERY
SINGLE JAR that I could have possibly included in my dev environment.
TA's instantaneous retrieval of what I probably meant is not nearly
robust enough for my development work. Eclipse also ignores any text
that I've previously entered in the file, and will not provide any sort
of autocomplete within text strings or comments, saving me amounts of
time that literally cannot be counted.

* Lua is too simple. Switching over to the JVM would allow me to use the
full power of the various object-oriented frameworks available in that
environment. I could even switch over to using a functional style
language like Scala if I wanted.

* Displaying XML files as dialog boxes. Why would I care what's in the
POM file when there are pretty buttons right in front of me?

The next release is going to be awesome! I can't wait!