Re: [textadept] Textadept needs to play catch-up (But more serious)

From: steve donovan <steve.j.dono....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:49:26 +0200

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:43 AM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> Adeptsense can read ctags and allow you to jump to them using a filtered
> list. It also supports the pattern syntax. Maybe you can just add some key
> commands that hook into Adeptsense's ctags store.

I'll have a look at that - adeptsense is definitely one of the cool
things about TA.

> I experimented with a spawn extension[1] some time ago but had some problems
> with reading stdout on Win32. I may revisit it sometime this month.

Well, this is the extension code I used for scite:

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/sdonovan/lua/spawner-ex.zip

In particular, unix-spawner-ex.c uses the GTK async method of getting
stuff back; the Windows version uses messages - for TA, a combination
of the above will do the job. SciTE has a few Lua-weirdnesses, and one
of them is that the callbacks are globals. Hence the obsession with
calling globals you see in these extensions - it certainly wouldn't be
my preferred way of doing things!

Look at scite-debug.zip at

http://luaforge.net/frs/?group_id=327

for some context.

As for dealing with other instances, it's one of those tricky little
things where details matter. Actually, Windows has named pipes as
well, although they work somewhat differently - they are not part of
the usual filesystem and only last as long as the process that creates
them. But the principles are the same.

steve d.