Re: [textadept] Modifications to language modules

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:25:43 +0200

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> since it took me a moment to remember that I already had a javascript
>>> module in my
>>> userhome and Brian's new release wants to be installed in TA's home
>>> directory I wondered
>>> whether there might be a way to make it easier to enhance language
>>> modules.
>>> How about having a "user/init.lua" file instead of post_init.lua?
>>> Additional user api and tags
>>> files could be put there as well. That way all modules could be
>>> installed in userhome.
>>> I have different versions of TA installed, built from hg, the latest
>>> stable, so I right now I have to
>>> copy around the latest modules.
>>> Likely, in the future the language modules will not see as many
>>> updates as TA, so they could
>>> be updated independently.
>>>
>>> Robert

Here's another point why it might be worth relocating the official
modules. On Mac OS X
TA comes in a deeply nested app bundle, technically it's just a
folder, but I think users don't typically like to hack around in
these.
So how about having a structure like:
~/.textadept/modules
  hypertext
    init.lua
    api
    tags
    /user
      init.lua -- loaded instead of post_init.lua
      api
      tags