Re: [textadept] Re: improvements for opening large text files

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:25:30 +0200

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Alexandru Draghina
<alexdragh....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve for the info.
>
> It's a little strange - because Notepad++ is built on Scintilla too,
> if i remember correctly; but probably it has a different 'max.size'
> limit.
>
> I agree, a text editor (programmer's editor) is not supposed to open
> such large files - but on the other hand, I need to analyze these
> logs, I need syntax highlighting, regular expressions, split views and
> so on - things that should be done by a programmer editor, not a Hex
> editor.
>
> I'll try to see if I can change the memory limit in Textadept - with
> the risk of running out of virtual memory, or moving slow. Because it
> stops itself with the "not enough memory" message, I'm sure there is a
> size limit hardcoded somewhere. Otherwise, maybe I can find a method
> to load large files in smaller chunks (haven't done this before, but..
> who knows?)
>
> Regards,
> Alex
>
> On May 24, 12:51 pm, steve donovan <steve.j.dono....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Alexandru Draghina
>>
>> <alexdragh....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone has any ideas about how to make some improvements (in what
>> > areas..) so I'll be able to open such large files?
>>
>> It is mostly a limitation of the underlying Scintilla editing control.
>>
>> Here's Neil Hodgson (Scintilla author) on the subject:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/scite-inter...@lyra.org/msg01376.html
>>
>> steve d.
>
> --

I tried opening a ~500 MB file with Scite and Textadept. Scite
displays it after maybe 25 seconds. Trying it with TA almost freezes
my machine.
Textadept loads the file with a call to io.read('*all'), I don't know
what Scintilla does.
You can definitely use Textadept to build your own customized tools,
to just load
a few lines.

Robert