Re: [textadept] Modifications to language modules

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 02:44:56 -0400 (EDT)

Robert,

On Tue, 31 May 2011, Robert wrote:

> Here's another point why it might be worth relocating the official
> modules. On Mac OS X
> TA comes in a deeply nested app bundle, technically it's just a
> folder, but I think users don't typically like to hack around in
> these.
> So how about having a structure like:
> ~/.textadept/modules
> hypertext
> init.lua
> api
> tags
> /user
> init.lua -- loaded instead of post_init.lua
> api
> tags

I haven't completely thought this out, but why not have a
~/.textadept/modules/hypertext/user/ folder and in post_init.lua have
"require 'hypertext/user/init.lua'" ?

I don't want modules to have to be installed in _USERHOME. In the future I
might want to bundle modules with the official packages instead of
separately and they would have to go in _HOME. I also don't like the idea
of "autoloading" a user/ directory in a modules/ directory; I'd rather
have it explicitly loaded to minimize confusion. Plus, what if user3 liked
your hypertext module, placed it in user/, but had their own additions?
Where would it be kept? In user/user/? With explicit loading you can have
~/.textadept/modules/hypertext/{user2,user3}/ and load them both from a
post_init.lua.

mitchell