Re: Lexer

From: anton <averbit....at.yandex.ru>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks but sorry, I still don't get it.

Why is this not working

local preprocessor = token(l.PREPROCESSOR,#P('a') * P('ta'))

_rules = {
  { 'whitespace', ws },
  { 'preprocessor', preprocessor},
  { 'any_char', l.any_char },
}

not working on "New sata drives"

What does "The '#' operator matches without consuming anything" mean?
The reference says
"The order of the rules is important because of the nature of LPeg.
LPeg tries to apply the first rule to the current position in the text
it is matching. If there is a match, it colors that section
appropriately and moves on. If there is not a match, it tries the next
rule, and so on."
So, "New sata drives" will produce
3 times any_char for "New", whitespace, any_char for "s" and then
presumably preprocessor,
but at what position will LPeg go on?

thanks,
anton