Re: [textadept] Key commands in menu

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:04:55 +0200

Mitchell,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 6:53 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Robert wrote:
>
>> There are of course lots of issues with this simple patch (KEYSYMS
>> shows up, special keys like Tab are not escaped, ...) but just to show
>> it could work.
>
> Thanks for the patch, but I think I recall trying something like this a
> while ago and ran into the same problems that you describe, as well as
> 'gtk-new Ctrl+N' menuitems I mentioned earlier. While initially promising, I
> think this route is a dead end.

I think all these issues could be fixed - the 'gtk-new Ctrl+N'
menuitems is only a problem, because there is no separate field used
as in the pre-beta version.
TA used to have a separate table for key_commands, so the clash with
KEYSYMS is not inevitable.
The main problem is that I didn't find a way to create unique string
representations without going back to the old string-based approach
for "buffer" and "view".

Having two different ways of defining key commands is just something
that I would find weird when explaining/recommending TA to others
(which I do often) - that's why I keep
asking about it :-)

Robert