Re: [textadept] Key commands in menu

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:05:42 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Robert,

> Having two different ways of defining key commands is just something
> that I would find weird when explaining/recommending TA to others
> (which I do often) - that's why I keep
> asking about it :-)

Believe me, I would love to have menu.lua read from _G.keys if possible.
Sure the little problems could be hammered out, but I have a few big
problems with adding shortcuts to the menu text:
   * There would be a lot of code necessary to decipher the shortcut into
     the 'Ctrl', 'Shift', 'Alt', etc. modifiers to create the standard
     'Ctrl+N' shortcut we are all familiar with (instead of 'cn').
   * Should the shortcuts be localized? (I'd rather have GTK do all that
     behind the scenes).
   * It's ugly to have the shortcut right next to the text. We're used to
     having the shortcuts on the right, much easier to separate from menu
     text. Using tabs as separators will still result on mis-aligned
     shortcuts because of variable shortcut string length and localized
     menu item string length.
   * I don't even know if Mac OSX glyphs can appear in menu item text.
     Those users are used to the glyphs instead of reading
     'Cmd+Shift+Alt+A'.

I realize that current ta users are probably used to the shortcuts and/or
keychains defined throughout 3.x and back into 2.x. Therefore they may
want to redefine keys to match the keychains they're used to and find it
strange that there are two places to do so.

I don't know what else to say. There are tradeoffs that come with
implementing something static with ta's dynamicity.

mitchell