Re: [textadept] ta 4.0 changes in hg

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:47:56 +0200

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
[snip]

>> Actually, I'm still a bit confused about the new (OS X) mappings. I've
>> seen the discussion
>> on scintilla-interest and I think Neil summarized the different view
>> points well:
>>
>>> There are different audiences for this code. Some people will just
>>> be using OS X and so may prefer closely following OS X standards.
>>> Others, like me move between platforms so prefer some trade-offs be
>>> made towards working the same on all platforms.
>
> This was made in reference to how similar Scintilla's Win32/Linux key
> bindings should be to Mac OSX ones, not which modifier is defined as which.
> Scintilla has gone with redefining SCI_CTRL to be the command key: "On OS X,
> the Command key is mapped to SCMOD_CTRL and the Control key to SCMOD_META."
> Therefore ta is not stepping completely out of line.
>
>> I'm more in the mover's camp, so why not have "Control" as "c" on all
>> platforms, and
>> the modifier key next to space as "a", be it "Alt" or "Command"
>> (formerly known as "Apple" key so there is even a nice mnemonic)? The
>> Alt/Option key on the Mac could be named
>> "Option" within Textadept.
>
> Obviously there is a tradeoff. Us cross-platform coders naturally would like
> to have all key modifiers be the same so we can use the same keys.conf.
> However, there are plenty of OSX users that would find the current bindings
> more intuitive (I don't think the 'Command' key even says 'Apple' or has a
> picture of an apple anymore).
That's true, but I think it's understood. How about allowing the
unicode symbols in the key definitions? They could be inserted with snippets
or key short cuts, like

Btw, the wikipedia page for the command key [1] gives "meta" as one of the
names for the command key.

> Are there any predominant OSX users that have an opinion on this?
>
> mitchell

They probably use Textmate or BBedit :-)
I think TA's "target group" are probably people who move between platforms.

Robert

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key