Re: New to textadept :-)

From: James Keats <james.w.ke....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:38:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 2, 10:04 pm, Brian Schott <briancsch....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, James Keats <james.w.ke....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the "commands.lua" file? I can't find it. Is this the same as
> > the scala.lua file in the lexers directory?
>
> "commands.lua" is another sign that I need to update my scripts and
> wiki pages for the new releases. That should actually go in a file
> called in .textadept/modules/scala/init.lua. You can use the files in
> modules/textadept/cpp (or lua) as an example of how to create a
> language module.
>
> > I love this little editor! I wasn't aware of the wiki, and I wasn't
> > aware of version 4's plans. Exciting! haha. :-D
>
> I also have some code on my bitbucket account:https://bitbucket.org/SirAlaran/ta-javascript/overview
>
> Wow. I really need to update the wiki...

Oh I see, so textadept picks up files of the sort .textadept/modules/
*language*/init.lua as language modules, right? is that all? and you
can put there a tags file too like you have in your ta-javascript
modules on bitbucket, right? and i can perhaps use the files in
modules/cpp or lua as an example for language module authoring.

I may want to do a language module for scala. I'll need to learn lua,
and I saw this http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lpeg/, and I can
build on the great work you guys have already done. I think lpegs are
really great as scala is said to be a complex language to parse, so
there'll probably be of much use here. I also saw this https://github.com/stevej/sctags
which seems to use the scala compiler itself to generate the tags.

You guys may be aware of the situation right now with scala tools.
Some people - jetbrains included - claim that the language is too
complex to develop an IDE for. Whilst I'm definitely no superman and
no wiser than them IDE-wise, I'd guess that textadapt's openness,
lua's conciseness, and lpegs goodness may be worth having a go at it.
In any case it may help me get to know the innards of the language
well. I could use the scala.properties file as a starting point.

This could really be a golden opportunity for textadapt to hit it big.
IDEs are big and complex, and in my experience they tend to stand in
the way more than actually help, whilst on the other hand editors like
emacs and vim are too archaic - steep learning curve too! - and were
designed for keyboards that vanished decades ago. My only concern with
textadept so far - only used it for two days - is that when opening a
few files it hangs for a bit but eventually it opens them all, whereas
scite was quite snappy. That's probably a tradeoff with the scripted
openness of being written in lua.