Re: [textadept] Re: New to textadept :-)

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:55:49 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi James,

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, James Keats wrote:

> [snip.
>
> Oh I see, so textadept picks up files of the sort .textadept/modules/
> *language*/init.lua as language modules, right? is that all? and you
> can put there a tags file too like you have in your ta-javascript
> modules on bitbucket, right? and i can perhaps use the files in
> modules/cpp or lua as an example for language module authoring.

The manual and Luadoc are good sources of information:

http://caladbolg.net/luadoc/textadept/modules/_m.html
http://caladbolg.net/luadoc/textadept/manual/7_Modules.html

> [snip]
>
> My only concern with
> textadept so far - only used it for two days - is that when opening a
> few files it hangs for a bit but eventually it opens them all, whereas
> scite was quite snappy. That's probably a tradeoff with the scripted
> openness of being written in lua.

If they are large files, Lua's io.open() command is the bottleneck. If
there are many files, ta starts up too fast and it feels like the
application "hangs" as it loads all the files.

mitchell