Novice Laundry list

From: Patrick <patrick.mcmor....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 23:28:45 -0700 (PDT)

New user here.

I think I like the no tabs design but I still find that I'm having
some issues navigating around and being productive.

1) When I have many (4+) frames open, its sometimes hard to tell what
file is open in what frame. I can see the current file in the title
bar, but that's only 1 of the frames. It would be really nice to have
the file name at the top of the frame. It just seems odd to need to
click around just to see the file name. Is there a way to do this
already?

2) I find the Ctrl-Tab behavior to be a bit hard to use in that it
rotates through files in a given order whereas most things in windows
use a history order where something is moved to the front of the
history once you release Ctrl. When I have a large number of files
open, I find it easier to use a history than to remember my position
in a large list and which direction I want to go from the current
file. But maybe that's just me. Is there a way to turn that option
on?

3) I find it a pain when the open file dialog opens to the TA install
folder 0.000% of the time do I actually want to create a file there.
My favorite text editors are the ones where the current folder follows
the document with focus. Usually it's right and that I want a new
file beside the current on and when its wrong, its probably not far
off. Furthermore, since I'm aware of this behavior I'll even switch
focus to something in the same folder if I have one already open.
This way, when I go to save the new file I just put in the name. No
need to deal with folder navigation etc. Is there a way to do this?

4) It is a bit unstable. I'm actually pretty used working with
unstable software, but its a bit scary to do any serious work when the
editor may unexpectedly crash right out. Actually it literally just
happened now. I tried attaching to VS2010 but didn't get much out of
it other than it said that the heap was corrupted (but I don't expect
that your using the MS C runtime either). Here I just clicked "Choose
Lexer..." from the menu changed my mind and hit cancel (boom). This
was with the 4.0 beta, but I had another crash with 3.9 on OSX Lion
the other night (I also couldn't resize the window by dragging, only
with the zoom button). I guess my question here is: What is the best
way that I can capture a dump and get useful info out for submitting
bugs. I've also been doing C/C++ development for a while so I might
be inclined to build something with symbols to work with at some point
but I'm only just getting acquainted.

5) I like the document history window as a pop-up on Ctrl-B but
sometimes I'd really just rather it stay open. I'd like to have a way
to force it to dock and then change focus there when I hit Ctrl-B.
Then making a selection and having it put that in the frame I just
came from and return focus there. This is also handy to make sure all
the files I was editing are saved before compiling since I can see the
* in the name. But if it's hidden its more like out of sight, out of
mind and then I have to troubleshoot a bit only to discover that I did
things out of order. Is there a way to do this?

6) I'm having trouble navigating between view (or frames and I guess
I've been calling them). This is something I really expect to be
doing a lot of. Does the short cut really need to be 3-4 keys? That
doesn't help much. I'd rather that the things l did the least often
had the harder combinations that make me look down. Maybe even
something that using the arrow keys would be good as I could move
relative to the current view. Also, the Ctrl-Alt-Tab is already taken
by windows (at least in win7).

7) Great editor by the way, I'm pretty excited about this potentially
being the editor that I've been looking for ! :) What is the fastest
way to go from novice to power user to contributor?

Thanks,