Re: [textadept] Novice Laundry list

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 09:38:41 +0200

On Aug 4, 2011, at 8:28 AM, Patrick wrote:

> 2) I find the Ctrl-Tab behavior to be a bit hard to use in that it
> rotates through files in a given order whereas most things in windows
> use a history order where something is moved to the front of the
> history once you release Ctrl. When I have a large number of files
> open, I find it easier to use a history than to remember my position
> in a large list and which direction I want to go from the current
> file. But maybe that's just me. Is there a way to turn that option
> on?

There is no option for this. I use a function that switches between
two buffers:
http://rgieseke.github.com/ta-common/lastbuffer.html

I don't know how to do history behavior "right",
it's the same as with Alt-Tab ordering,
but you could extend this code to toggle between more files.

> 3) I find it a pain when the open file dialog opens to the TA install
> folder 0.000% of the time do I actually want to create a file there.
> My favorite text editors are the ones where the current folder follows
> the document with focus. Usually it's right and that I want a new
> file beside the current on and when its wrong, its probably not far
> off. Furthermore, since I'm aware of this behavior I'll even switch
> focus to something in the same folder if I have one already open.
> This way, when I go to save the new file I just put in the name. No
> need to deal with folder navigation etc. Is there a way to do this?

There is snapopen the current directory, which should be about
what you want. I find the snapopen dialog much more useful than
the standard file open dialog.
To always be in the "right" directory you could connect an event
to buffer switch that changes the working directory to the current
one for "file open" to use.

> 4) It is a bit unstable. I'm actually pretty used working with
> unstable software, but its a bit scary to do any serious work when the
> editor may unexpectedly crash right out. Actually it literally just
> happened now. I tried attaching to VS2010 but didn't get much out of
> it other than it said that the heap was corrupted (but I don't expect
> that your using the MS C runtime either). Here I just clicked "Choose
> Lexer..." from the menu changed my mind and hit cancel (boom). This
> was with the 4.0 beta, but I had another crash with 3.9 on OSX Lion
> the other night (I also couldn't resize the window by dragging, only
> with the zoom button). I guess my question here is: What is the best
> way that I can capture a dump and get useful info out for submitting
> bugs. I've also been doing C/C++ development for a while so I might
> be inclined to build something with symbols to work with at some point
> but I'm only just getting acquainted.

I can confirm these crashes on OS X Lion. Only extending to the top
seems to work.
This is likely a GTK issue. Is this happening on OS X 10.6 as well?

The Windows version is cross compiled from Linux:
http://caladbolg.net/luadoc/textadept/manual/12_Compiling.html
If the Lexer crash is reproducible you should create an issue on
the Google code page.

> 5) I like the document history window as a pop-up on Ctrl-B but
> sometimes I'd really just rather it stay open. I'd like to have a way
> to force it to dock and then change focus there when I hit Ctrl-B.
> Then making a selection and having it put that in the frame I just
> came from and return focus there. This is also handy to make sure all
> the files I was editing are saved before compiling since I can see the
> * in the name. But if it's hidden its more like out of sight, out of
> mind and then I have to troubleshoot a bit only to discover that I did
> things out of order. Is there a way to do this?

Ctrl-B is not document history, it's open buffers (files). I think
it's not possible
to have this open all the time (the dialog is part of an external library,
gcocoadialog), but you could use a buffer to display a
clickable list of open buffers (though you would have to write
this functionality).
This is a file browser in a buffer as an example:
http://caladbolg.net/textadeptwiki/index.php?n=Main.FileBrowser

> 6) I'm having trouble navigating between view (or frames and I guess
> I've been calling them). This is something I really expect to be
> doing a lot of. Does the short cut really need to be 3-4 keys? That
> doesn't help much. I'd rather that the things l did the least often
> had the harder combinations that make me look down. Maybe even
> something that using the arrow keys would be good as I could move
> relative to the current view. Also, the Ctrl-Alt-Tab is already taken
> by windows (at least in win7).

The short cuts in 4.0beta are new and as Mitchell wrote in another
mail, they might change…
Maybe we should have a wiki page for discussion of potential
key problems.

> 7) Great editor by the way, I'm pretty excited about this potentially
> being the editor that I've been looking for ! :) What is the fastest
> way to go from novice to power user to contributor?

Read the manual, have a look at the wiki to see what and how
people have written to change TA and then start writing
your own modifications :-)
Have a look at the source, of course - understanding what
modules are loaded in which order and what they do will be
helpful when writing your own modules. Probably start with
modules/textadept.
TA uses Scintilla, so a little knowledge of Scintilla or knowing
where to find stuff in the Scintilla docs is also helpful at times.

Robert