Re: [textadept] 4.0 beta Key Command Feedback

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:38:41 +0200

Hi,

I'm continuing the discussion I posted before in this topic. If there
is one thread,
then there is no need for a wiki discussion.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since 4.0 beta features a radically new set of key commands, this is the
> place to post feedback.
>
> It has been brought to my attention that on Vista/Win7 machines,
> Ctrl+Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Tab are taken so they cannot be used to
> switch between split views.
>
> mitchell
>

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Robert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in general I like the new key bindings a lot, but some ideas:
>>
>> 1. I'd suggest reverting
>>
>> Replace = cr
>> Replace All = cR
>> and
>> Run = car
>> Compile = caR

>> Replace = car
>> Replace All = caR
>> and
>> Run = cr
>> Compile = cR
>>
>> The run/compile commands have been pretty popular, I think, so many
>> people would have to change these back.
>> Personally, I used replace from the find dialog (with the different
>> short cuts there), I just found out now that it's possible directly.
>
> cr and cR is more consistent with cf, cg, etc. I had given thought to this,
> but I prefer consistency over legacy.

One argument against consistency would be that these short cuts are
'destructive', so a short cut with more keys would prevent unintended
replacing.

>> 2.
>> For zoom
>> Zoom In = c=
>> Zoom Out = c-
>>
>> I'd prefer
>>
>> Zoom In = c+
>> Zoom Out = c-
>>
>> This is what all other applications I have open do. On my keyboard
>> layout "=" and "-" aren't next to each other.
>
> That is a perfectly valid point; I know the layout I chose will not satisfy
> everyone. However the logic was that Ctrl+Shift should deal with selections
> since Ctrl+Shift+9 = '(' = select parenthesis, Ctrl+Shift+, = '<' = select
> angle brackets, Ctrl+Shift+' = '"' = select double quotes, etc. on my US
> keyboard. Therefore Ctrl+Shift+= = '+' = grow selection.
>
> I am open to suggestions about remapping grow/shrink selection provided they
> fit the Ctrl+Shift criteria though.

Okay, I see the logic now. This doesn't work with the German layout,
however. For example,
to select in "[" would be Ctrl+Alt Gr+[. Hm, it's the same with single
quotes on the
US-layout, isn't it?

Robert