Re: [textadept] 4.0 beta Key Command Feedback

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusz....at.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:02:23 -0400

Mitchell,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>
> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>> [snip]
>> In the documentation that is shipped with TA I don't get the
>> correct symbols
>> for the MacOSX shortcuts.
>> I don't use MacOS, but I thought you would like to know.
>> Attached is a screen
>> capture if you need.
>>

>> It looks like your font does not support Unicode glyphs. I would recommend
>> using the DejaVu font
>> to show them.
>>
>> Well there are a few shortcuts that clash on the default Ubuntu
>> (11.04 amd64) Unity
>> interface:
>> TA Key Shortcut [Ubuntu default behavior]
>> ==============================**========
>> Ctrl+Alt+L [Lock Screen]
>> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S [Roll up window]
>>

>> I made a mistake it is the Ctrl+Alt+S [Toggle Window Shaded] not
>> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S [Roll up
>> window].
>>

> Ctrl+Alt+L for selecting a lexer will be changed to avoid the conflict, but
> I think Ctrl+Alt+S for splitting the view is too valuable to change. Perhaps
> you and other Ubuntu users could either change the Ubuntu shortcut or use
> the menu?

This is a tough one. I am not trying to make judgement on Linux distros, but
Ubuntu is the most used one. So I worry that less technical users will blame
TA for the issue and not understand why the shortcut doesn't work. The
function to split is a critical feature of TA that makes it "better" then
other editors. I feel like relying on the users to change system
level shortcuts to get at a feature might turn users away. (I do understand
you can use the menu, but... the speed of TA comes from the shortcuts :)
Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Ryan