Re: [textadept] Compiler for windows

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:13:42 +0200

Hi Patrick,

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Patrick McMorris <patr....at.sixpack.ca> wrote:
> Well, I can't really find any clear walkthroughs on how to set up the dev
> environment and build on windows.  I've tried to fumble through installing
> the gtk+ 2.22 dev bundle.  But I must have missed something as I keep
> getting build errors.  Do you build from in the texadept_X/src folder?  Even
> doing a make clean gives me an error:
>
> $ make clean
> rm ../textadept *.o
> rm: cannot lstat `../textadept': No such file or directory

I think this error always shows when there is nothing to delete.
The cross-compiling process can be hard... I tried a while ago and
didn't manage it.
I re-tried now with a fresh Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) Virtual Machine and
it worked :-)

Necessary packages:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev gcc-mingw32

And the full package from
http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php into src/win32gtk
(I recommend the full package, trying to get the packages individually
might have
caused many of the problems I had the last time I tried.)

Mitchell,
the link in the manual seems to be gone and now to be the one above.
12_Compiling.md
l.23
- not) and the [GTK+ for Windows
bundle](http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html)
+ not) and the [GTK+ for Windows bundle](http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php)

Is 2.16 recommended still necessary? I used 2.22.

> Also using make WIN32=1 was still looking for i486-mingw32-gcc which I don't
> have for some reason.   I've installed the mingw32-gcc package, updated and
> upgraded but I still don't get that binary.  Looking at the file list here
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/mingw32-gcc/files/ I can
> see the file in a newer version of the package.  But I guess my repositories
> only have up to 4.5.2-1.  I tried just changing it to gcc in the make file
> but that didn't get me much further.

I don't know about Arch Linux, on Debian/Ubuntu the packages prefix is
i586-mingw32msvc

There were two options I removed in the makefile:

l.25
- CPP = i586-mingw32msvc-g++ -mms-bitfields -mwindows -static-libgcc
-static-libstdc++
+ CPP = i586-mingw32msvc-g++ -mms-bitfields -mwindows -static-libgcc

l.130
- $(CPP) $(EXPORTLUASYMS) -o $@ $^ $(GTKLIBS) -ldl
+ $(CPP) $(EXPORTLUASYMS) -o $@ $^ $(GTKLIBS)

To run the final textadept.exe it is necessary to copy the dll-files and
etc, lib and share directories to the textadept directory as in the
packaged version.

Hope this helps,
Robert