Re: [textadept] Textadept 4.0

From: steve donovan <steve.j.dono....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:54:36 +0200

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> have you seen Steve Donovan's winapi [1] for Lua? If I remember
> correctly the last time you posted the spawning module there were
> mainly issues with Windows. It would definitely be nice to get rid of
> those flashing black boxes on Windows.

It would be a good fit, and it's fairly small. I'll try & see how to
integrate at least the 'silent' execute function.

If useful, it would in fact only take 30 or so lines to bring that
feature into the actual C code base.

There are a number of other possibilities provided by winapi; you can
run a process asynchronously, receiving output as a callback. The
first application is capturing an interactive process such as Python,
but the real payoff is capturing a GDB session for debugger
integration. This is essentially how I got debugger support into
SciTE.

(for SciTE on Unix I did a little extension which integrated output
from processes into the GTK+ async I/O framework.)

steve d.