Re: Feature request: intelligently exclude single quote character from AUTOPAIR

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 15:11:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 5, 11:52 pm, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011, phayz wrote:
> > I often use Textadept not for code editing but for editing of files in
> > XML format, most often documentation. Within this documentation I'm
> > often using the single quote character (') in English to indicate
> > ownership - e.g. Mitchell's dog. :D When I type the single quote
> > character here though, it's automatically paired and I need to delete
> > the second one.
>
> > My feature request is that the single quote character only be AUTOPAIR-
> > ed if the character is not immediately followed by the letter 's'.
>
> When you are not writing code, are you using the default 'container'
> lexer? If so, I will add logic to the code to not autopair quotes in the
> 'container' lexer. That would solve your problem and not require any
> complicated logic.
>
> mitchell
>

> > The logic behind this might be something like:
>
> > (In a-character-has-been-pressed module)
> > if previous character was a single quote then
> >  if the current character is "s"
> >    then insert into the buffer "s"
> >  else to the standard AUTOPAIR logic
>
> > I'm re-evaluating Textadept as my primary editor and if I stick with
> > it I'll try adding this logic to AUTOPAIR code myself. If someone else
> > wants to try it themselves I'd be happy for that too.
>

> mitchell

Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the XML container (?) as that's
what's activated when I open an XML file. I still like all the great
features that come with the XML lexer etc - syntax highlighting etc.
If I open an XML file then switch lexer to 'Container' I lose those
advantages.

Am I asking too much perhaps? I don't mind being told if I am.