Re: [textadept] Potential 5.0 Roadmap

From: steve donovan <steve.j.dono....at.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:34:29 +0200

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> Preface: I am not committed to any of the below. These are just my ideas
> that I wanted to share with the community.

I think the key word about module() and 5.2 is that it's 'deprecated'.
 That is, it will still be there until 5.3. Personally I don't use it
any more (with 5.1 as well) but there's no reason to change something
that (a) works and (b) the documentation tools know well.

My experience has been that it's straightforward to write Lua that
remains both 5.1 and 5.2 compatible. There's a compatibility layer in
Penlight, which is entirely within the utils module (don't we all have
one of those!)

https://github.com/stevedonovan/Penlight/blob/master/lua/pl/utils.lua

Little gotchas like the changed signature for os.execute are handled
by utils.execute, and so forth.

So script-breakage can be minimised, by taking a pragmatic attitude to module().

The obvious question is: why upgrade Lua, especially when it's
embedded in an application?

steve d.