Re: [textadept] Potential 5.0 Roadmap

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 14:18:48 +0100

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.dono....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>> Preface: I am not committed to any of the below. These are just my ideas
>> that I wanted to share with the community.
>
> I think the key word about module() and 5.2 is that it's 'deprecated'.
>  That is, it will still be there until 5.3.  Personally I don't use it
> any more (with 5.1 as well) but there's no reason to change something
> that (a) works and (b) the documentation tools know well.

I thought the same thing, I have no problem with updating the modules
I maintain and I think the way modules are handled in 5.2 is much
clearer than before. Still, if it's not much effort to maintain
backward compatibility I would keep support for "module" in TA. There
is also some code out there that is not on the Wiki or mentioned on
the mailing list, for example a Scintillua lexer for the experimental
MoonScript language [1][2].

If there are speed improvements through using LuaJIT, I think using
LuaJIT by default with as much as possible 5.2 compatibility enabled
might be worth considering. I still like the idea of having access to
the foreign function interface [3] of LuaJIT, as I wrote before [4].
Is it possible to build TA on Windows with LuaJIT at the moment? I'd
like to try if this actually works as I hope.

Generally, I really like TA going forward fast and I have a few ideas
with possibly API-breaking changes, that I'll post shortly.

Robert

[1] http://moonscript.org/
[2] An interesting review by Steve:
http://steved-imaginaryreal.blogspot.com/2011/12/moonscript-lua-based-language.html