Re: [textadept] How to generate documentation like TA's?

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:39:28 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, HyperHacker wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 08:47, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> OK, my sources are in another directory, so I made a symlink to that
>>> directory within TA's home. It looks like it's finding those, but
>>> expecting something else first:
>>> /usr/bin/lua: ./update_doc:63: ../doc/modules/rena.log.html: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> (I had to patch update_doc, line 63, to generate a meaningful error
>>> message: )
>>> - f = io.open(filename)
>>> + f = assert(io.open(filename))
>>

>> This means LuaDoc did not pick up a module called 'rena.log' (hence why its
>> html file does not exit). Ensure that your module would be passed to LuaDoc
>> for processing on line 27 (the second os.execute).
>>

>>> Before that I had just been doing:
>>> luadoc -d doc -doclet adeptsensedoc *.lua
>>> in the source directory to generate the tags, and then loading them
>>> with .textadept/modules/lua/post_init.lua:
>>> _M.lua.sense:load_ctags('/home/rena/dev/lua/libs/rena/doc/tags')
>>> table.insert(_M.lua.sense.api_files,
>>> '/home/rena/dev/lua/libs/rena/doc/api')
>>>
>>> which works except for the missing markdown.
>>

>> As you are now aware, adeptsensedoc only generates Adeptsense from LuaDoc.
>> It doesn't know anything about '-- Markdown:'. The 'if luadoc' block in
>> update_doc is what inserts markdown into the LuaDoc html files.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> mitchell
>>

> Ah, does this mean I have to copy/link every html file from my
> documentation into that directory? I was hoping to get away with just
> a symlink to the directory it's in...

I know you solved this further down, but I think this thread indicates
some changes should be made to make it easier to document custom modules
via '-- Markdown:'. I will be looking into this.

mitchell